Monday, June 27, 2011

Normality

Who decides what's "normal" and what isn't? I know, weird question. You are probably thinking, "The society, duh!"

Today, I think I had an epiphany. And I got it in the shower. Don't ask me how I even was thinking about normality in the shower, I just was. I think that, no, the society doesn't make up the rules as what is normal and what isn't. I think it's media.

Movies, plays, even commercials are trying to box the world, into what's normal and what isn't. Think about it. We see "normal people" all the time but are white houses and nice bedrooms and other stereotypes in movies. Freaky Friday was supposed to show off a normal family. Also, The family in The Uninvited are "normal" people other than Anna. But, let's admit that none of us live that way. You may... but not many people live in nice houses, drive expensive Volvos and do other things we see as normal. So what? We, the society, aren't normal?

I never considered myself normal. I had a autistic brother, a mother obsessed with college, and a father in the midst of his 10,000,000 attempt at weight loss. My home is in a nice neighborhood, near the city but we didn't always live there. Before, we lived in another state and kept moving around. We travel a lot and my dad is always in England working. Mom looks stressed and tired all the time, as if she's upset with something I did and my brother acts like a two year old even though he's three years older than me. I even find myself, thinking about life and death and I'm so moody, I'm always sacred of death and think of myself dying often. I alway think of my funeral when I'm sad because it cheers me up when I think of all the people who would cry. How they will all feel sorry for me. Does that make me Emo?

So as you can tell, I'm not normal. But then again, what is? Are you normal? Is normal good? Is normal the things we see in movies, t.v. shows and commercials what normal really is?  I don't know, but I hope I find out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment